Thursday, July 20, 2006

Much more than a menu... Camaje.

My last visit to NYC was as all of my visits usually are, far more pedestrian native than awed tourist. I catch my cab to the UES (Upper East Side) of Manhattan, settle into my corner of my childhood friend's quaint little place, and then plot my park run for the next morning and grab my Metro Pass. Knowing how I move in the city that I call home more so than my own home town, my friend usually directs me to spots that offer a truer sense of local color.

One such place is the amazing little bistro located in the Village; Camaje.



From the corner of MacDougal and Houston the garnet-colored awning bearing the name gently inviting you to venture over and take a seat in the shade thusly being transported to a different place. Time moves a bit slower, and the atmosphere eases away the cares of the moment as if to prepare your mind and palette for what is to come. Seating is low in numbers and close in spacing but you never feel crowded. Sidewalk seating is available when weather permits. For those really in the mood to chill, there is a couch that looks and feels like everyone's favorite lived-in couch facing the wonderfully detailed fire-doors that when fully opened expose the interior to sidwalk and street. I suggest going with a friend because the ambiance at Camaje will incite good conversation and a genuine feeling of connection that all friends need to remember feeling. I did just such a thing, having been accomplanied by my good friend Joy. Upon arrival, we sit and lazily look over the menu because the vibe is so nice that we are in no rush. Our server (who also would eventually wear all hats short of cook) sat reading while still being quite attentive to us. This was nice because we felt no pressure to get a move on and we conversed with him about the perfect music piping into the spice-scented cafe from his own iPod. Another perk of a laid-back local spot; the help is most always mad cool. Enough swooning over the scene... Now onto the tastes.

The menu has continental twist on favorites with offerings like the Kobe beef burger, the chicken avacado panini and the wide range of not-your-typical garden salads. My personal fave is the chicken avacado panini and my own press of Oolong tea. Camaje also offers cooking classes as well as their famed "One Night Stand" endeavor in which you accompany award-winning chef and owner Abigail Hitchcock at the fires preparing a meal for yourself and up to 24 friends.

As a must-stop for me each time I'm in the City, I humbly submit that you should saunter dow the NYC's Village, get to the corner of MacDougal and Houston and look to your right... You see it? Yeah, go on in and find your new favortie spot. Camaje.

For more info:
http://www.camaje.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I'm pretty sure I walked right by that place the last time I was there in April! I was alone, and a little spun around at the time. But if you recommend it, then I'm putting it on my list for my next visit. That's my favorite area of the city!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Stevie G. the RDQLUS One said...

Indeed sis it's the joint! Try it out on a nice day and sit where you can catch the breeze through the fire-doors.

Put it on the list when I get there in Sept.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Jamel said...

I agree with Mel, your description is so well written I can almost feel Camaje's vibe from my office here in AZ. I'm a big fan of small quiet spots and this place sounds like a low-key mecca.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home